Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Fighting the urge to cry...

So...I don't really know what to say, other than my lampshade cracked. I have been obsessing over getting it absolutely perfect. I struggle with being a perfectionist when it comes to things I make, but I have been even more so on this project because I am making it for my sister.

I had it all soldered and was cleaning it. While cleaning it I decided that it wasn't good enough and could use some more work. So I started doing some more soldering, trying to make the seams smoother and BAM! or I guess CRACK!!!! would be a better description. The crack went across a whole piece almost. I was really upset about this crack. After all the work and time I have spent on this lamp for it to happen at this point is just disappointing.

I spent last night trying to calm myself down. It's not the end of the world I told myself. I am usually pretty good at shrugging things off. I mean, what can I do? It happened. Unless I can go back in time there is no changing that fact. I convinced myself that it wasn't that bad of a crack. I thought I might even be able to ignore it and just finish the lamp and be done. That was the plan.

This morning, I set at it again. I started to clean it. Things weren't looking so bad and what do you think happened?? CRRRRAAAAAACKKK!!! One of the pieces around the bottom broke. And this one was even worse than the one from last night. It's moments like that, that I get so angry I imagine myself picking up the entire shade and shattering it on the ground. But...of course I didn't. What good would that do?

I have kind of calmed myself down at this point. The rational side of me is saying, "Look Amelia, it's not the end of the world. You can take a few steps back, take out the broken pieces, and then resolder them together." But the unrational side of me is trying to convince the rational side that it is indeed the end of the world. I think the rational side will overcome the other in the end.

So...that is the situation at this point. I will attempt to take out the broken pieces and replace those. And then start over from there. Before I do that I am going to go get a new soldering iron. I think that is the problem. The one I currently have gets too hot and that is what is causing the glass to crack...hopefully.

Stay tuned, and hopefully my next post will be better news! Cross your fingers for me!

3 comments:

Celeste said...

Wow, that's awful! But, your rational side is right, it's not the end of the world and you WILL overcome! My fingers are crossed for you! :)

Rachel said...

Well I guess you can take this as a learning experience right? You only get better with mistakes. Thats what I keep telling myself.

Its also always a good idea to have a really good cry now and then. You'll feel better after, I promise.

P.S. Lets do something fun this weekend to get your mind off of it. Pool maybe?

Heather said...

Nooooooooooooooooooo!! Just kidding!! It will just make it more original and special!! It will be the only one of its kind:) I hope you know it doesn't have to be perfect!! I am not like that (hopefully you don't think I am like that)!!:)